Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Twenty-first Sunday after Pentecost


The Very Rev. Anthony R. Pompa

Good morning. I am guessing that you, like me, were entrenched, captivated, and fixated on the story of the rescue of the Chilean miners this week. What a story, and how refreshing for us to focus on good news when we so desperately needed an opportunity to focus on good news. What an amazing story, a real life story–the raising of the human spirit, the persistence of the human spirit, a group of miners trapped, gathering together in communion in desperate times. Once they were discovered, waiting, waiting, seemingly patient and seemingly calm, from this side of the earth. The stories are really quite amazing when you hear them, about how they ordered themselves to stay in communion with one another. Someone rose up and took leadership, they assigned chores, they worked, and they had a daily ritual. They took on roles.

Somewhere along the way after they had been discovered, one of the first things they asked for, it is reported, was a crucifix. Soon after that, they began to ask for statues of Mary and other saints because they had made themselves a chapel underground. Around that chapel, they gathered for corporate and individual prayer. Miner #21, Jose Enriquez, requested that 33 Bibles be sent because he wanted to lead Bible study. What a miraculous, miraculous story, and a miraculous focus on prayer. Some of the quotes as the miners were released, as I am sure that you have read, were quite amazing. One of them was quoted as saying, “I have seen the devil and God down there, and I reached out for the hand of God.” Another miner said, “There were 34 of us down there. God never left us.”

It is surprising to none of us that in difficult times, we tend to turn to God, don’t we? Especially in difficult times, we tend to turn to God. But what a miraculous story, and I am using that word with intention, what a miraculous story of how, worldwide and in that place, under that ground, prayer became part of what would sustain, lift up, and hold up this newly-formed and unintended communion of people.

The scriptures today, particularly the Gospel, do, indeed, focus us on prayer. Particularly the story that Jesus tells, the parable of the widow and the unjust judge, is a message to the disciples that they must be persistent in their prayers, just like the widow who had worn out or was going to wear out the unjust judge. So, too, the disciples must be persistent in their prayers. Jesus knew that his disciples would have difficult times, difficulty being the living community that followed the teachings of Jesus in a hostile environment. Jesus knew that they would need to be persistent in staying connected with the holy.

Today we look at the experience of prayer. What do we say about prayer? Is there really power and purpose in prayer? How do we approach prayer? What is prayer and what isn’t it? Certainly, it seems, we have a modern and living-day example in the Chilean miners who were indeed persistent in their prayers. It is said that in those first 17 days, when they sat in darkness without food, rationing it out by the teaspoon, that it was their prayers and their stories that they told one another that became the communion of power and purpose, that literally kept them alive for 17 days. In the days that followed after they were discovered, it was the rituals that they encountered in community, prayer being part of that ritual, that kept them together and patient and hopeful in their days of waiting. A disciplined ritual of praying in that make-shift chapel, corporately and individually, became the fabric that led them day by day.

St. Augustine says this, “What can be more excellent than prayer? What is more profitable to our life, what sweeter to our souls, what more sublime, in the course of our whole life, than the practice of prayer?” Satchel Paige, who I have to quote in the midst of baseball season (he was a pitcher), “Don’t pray when it rains if you don’t pray when the sun shines.” Abraham Lincoln said, “I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go.”

Prayer…but what will we say, what will we say today about prayer, in our modern-day miraculous example? What will we say today if the miners had not been rescued? It happens, you know. Would they have been any less persistent in their prayers, and would God have been any less present, present to them, and they less present to each other? Would their prayers have been without power? Surely, I am not the only one who asks those questions. This leads us, I think, into what prayer is and what it isn’t.

Prayer…sometimes we approach it as if it is a whim, a whine, or a wish, and I have participated in all three in my life. You know, the prayerful whim: God please don’t let Roy Halladay throw one more pitch down the center of the plate to Cody Ross, whoever he is. You know, the whim prayer, God please let me get an A on my report. Please, God, don’t let me get stuck in this traffic. Prayers of whim.

Prayer of whine, and I don’t use this with any judgment. I am a full supporter of whining in appropriate times and places. Prayers of whine: Why me? Why me, Lord? Why did this have to happen to me? Why am I on such a bad luck streak? Why me? This is also called lament, and the scriptures are full of it. Why, oh, Lord, why? Of course, in an egocentric moment, we have to ask the question, well, why not? Why not me? Why not? It seems sometimes frivolous to say, but it is the truth. It happens to all of us. It is the gift of being human, the gift of having life, its triumphs and its challenges. Why not me?

I think the most difficult and challenging part that we sometimes see in prayer is the wish prayer: God, I wish you could take this away from me. Please take this away from me. Jesus, even in the garden, may have prayed the wish prayer. God, can’t you take this away from me? Can’t you please take away this pain, this loss, and why did it have to be at all? Can’t you please give me back what once was, my life as I knew it, the relationship that I have lost, my father who has died so suddenly? I wish, God, it didn’t have to be.

Our prayers are difficult when we ride the continuum of whim and whine and wish. But what is prayer, then? What is it? And where is its power? SΓΈren Kierkegaard said, “Prayer does not change God, but it changes the one who prays.” Samuel Shoemaker, Episcopal priest and one of the founders of the AA movement, said that “Prayer does not change things for you, but it, for sure, changes you for things.” How many folks participating in a 12-step program have come to know the power of that statement? Prayer may not change things for you, but it, for sure, changes you for things. Henri Nouwen says that “Prayer is the bridge between our conscious and unconscious lives. To pray is to connect these two sides of our lives by going to the place where God dwells. Prayer is soul work, because our souls are those sacred centers where all is one and where God is with us in the most intimate way. Prayer is the invitation into sacred intimacy.”

We all know intimacy in that limited human way, but the gift that we get when we experience intimacy, a place of safety, a place of trust, a place of delight and passion, of vulnerability and courage, of a peace that surpasses all understanding, a relationship into sacred intimacy, is where our desperation is met with understanding. Our sadness and despair is met with a lap to put our heads in and a soothing hand running fingers through our hair, a light touch, wiping away our tears. That sacred place of intimacy is where our delight is met with unbridled joy, our courage is lifted up and emboldened, and our imagination is set free, where our deepest wounds and hurts that we often hide from the world are able to be shown, and they are accepted, and they even are embraced. This is where prayer leads us, into an unshakable communion with God.

The Lord be with you. Let us pray.

Listen, O Lord, to my prayers and hear my desire to be with you, to dwell in your house, and to let my whole being be filled with your presence. Let me at least remain open to your invitation to intimacy. Let me wait attentively and patiently for the hour when you will come and break through all the walls that I have erected. Teach me, O Lord, to pray.

By the way, the New York Times talked about the delivery of the miners in this way. “Miracle at the Mine” is what Good Morning, America called it, and said it was a nativity scene witnessed world-wide. We have witnessed a nativity scene, new life born out of deep intimacy with God. Amen.