Sunday, September 05, 2010


The Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost
September 5, 2010
The Rev. Canon Mariclair Partee

Recently I spent some time at my parents’ house in Marietta, GA. For various reasons this was my first trip “home,” to the house I grew up in, in a little over a year. I think, because of that (for me) unusually long interval, I was able to look at this very familiar place with fresh eyes, and notice things that, though they may have been in place for decades, I simply had been too used to to note. It also helped that my visit, as my mother characterized it, was a lot like that of a college kid home for the summer, meaning most days I slept in, spent hours reading, watched more than my fair share of television, and probably wore pajama pants more than one should. This is my favorite sort of vacation, one with absolutely no schedule.

Anyway, as I was lounging around being lazy, I noticed that the mantel in my parents’ living room displays a series of misshapen, lumpy little bowls, and then I remembered the pottery classes I took as a little kid, of which these fine specimens were the fruit.

Starting at about 8, I was enrolled in a class at our local art museum, down in the basement in a little studio, given by a woman who adored children and was also a bit of a holdover from the late sixties/early seventies arts and crafts movement. She taught us how to use clay to make everything from coil pots to scenes from fairy tales to gifts for our parents. (My mom still has the teapot I made for her in the shape of a pig, despite the fact that it leaks water from the feet and is completely unusable for the purpose for which it was designed.)

Eventually we advanced enough in our clay skills to learn how to use pottery wheels, and I was flooded with these memories in reading the passage from Jeremiah today. I think that I was too young at the time to fully understand it, but I got something special from the experience of starting with a lump of clay and watching as a bowl emerged with the help of my hands and fingers. In that moment of creating something out of nothing, in a way, I was closest perhaps to the feeling God had, when he crafted this world, when he crafted us, at the beginning of time. I was surprised every time I was successful. The key to successfully making a pot is centering the clay exactly on the middle of the spinning pottery wheel, and this was quite a difficult skill to learn. Often it would seem that the clay was centered until the bowl or pot was almost done, its walls brought high and thin, only to see a slight wobble start and then watch as the whole thing spun out of control and destroyed itself. And then you just had to scrape up the scraps and start all over again. It was a little heartbreaking to a young child, to see my work self destruct after such a promising start, an experience that, I think, also brings one close to the mind of God, perhaps, as he watches his creation, his beloved creations, and muddle through, sometimes unsuccessfully.

In the passage we read from Jeremiah today, we see God in one of these moments, when the house of Israel has gained the upper hand in its never-ending struggles against persecution, and has turned into the persecutor. God explains, through the prophet Jeremiah, to the wayward tribe of Israel the fragility of its existence. Like a potter reworking a spoiled vessel, so could God destroy the House of Israel, and start fresh.

“At one moment,” God says, “I may declare concerning a nation or kingdom that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, but if that nation…turns from its evil I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it…And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation that I will build and plant it, but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I intended to do to it…Turn now, all of you from your evil ways, and amend your ways and your doing.” This is a harsh warning from a loving God to a people who had lost their way, once again. Judah and Jerusalem were living in anxious times, uncertain, scared, fearing their neighbors, bracing for invasion or displacement, plagued by famines and economic hardships, looking for someone to blame.

We are living in anxious times, ourselves. Many of us are uncertain economically, with many still worried about keeping themselves housed, employed, fed, clothed. We are at war on many fronts. We are unsure, I think, as a country, of our place in the world, and that uncertainty and confusion can too easily turn into fear.

While home I watched a little more television than I normally do, and was surprised at the panic and the anger and the fear and cynicism I heard trumpeted by commentators of all flavors, from all points along the political spectrum- the language of doom and destruction and apocalypse tossed out easily, and it was terrifying. Historically, during times of economic downturn we as a people, as a human race, have given in to blaming the other, tightening borders and closing ranks in an attempt to create some sense of safety, of control. We have created scapegoats, have vilified members of other races, or religions, or nationalities. Cynicism leads to detachment, which leads the denial of the shared humanity that unites us all which leads to inaction. The bowl of our creation begins to wobble, ever so slightly, threatening to spin out of control.

But all is not lost; the pot can still be saved. We must remind ourselves that God’s hands are embracing us from all sides, continuing our formation even as we try to shake free.

And, we are reminded, if we hold tight to the Gospel, to the good news of Christ and to the new covenant he gave us: if we love our neighbors as ourselves, and above all else, love God- we have nothing to fear.

AMEN.

No comments: